Monday, May 23, 2011

emerging artist statment - draft: 1

I am an experimental performance artist with an extensive background in classical violin and ballet training. I am interested in externalizing the internal through sound, movement, and the transformation of spaces, creating immersive multi-sensory experiences for audiences. I make work to dismantle boxes – my own and those that are culturally / socially accepted - by questioning pre-conceived definitions and assumed aspects of humanity.

What does it really mean to be a woman? What does it really mean to be a man? What does it really mean to be strong? What does it really mean to work?

My artistic process is centered around self-study and a general questioning of what it means to be human. Taking an anthropological approach, I work to amplify the collective/shared human experience through examining, exploring, and sharing my individual experience.

I am interested in the occurrence of different versions of the same thing - 50 light bulbs of different shapes and sizes hanging from white string, a wall covered in index cards each filled with unique content, a phrase of movement repeated with slight variation – using objects, sound, and movement to illustrate how as humans, we are all different versions of the same thing.

I want to explore dance as a visual expression of sound, using lines, shapes, and angles of the body (in an environment) to externalize internal processing, emotions, and sentiments. I want to break down my former relationship to music and the violin. I want to dismantle out-moded, limiting systems. I want to highlight the connectivity of all things.

I’m human. You’re human. We’re all human. It is a shared experience.

No comments: